Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Silver Screen Gems!

Have you ever been watching TV and become captivated by a movie you have seen hundreds of times, maybe even own on DVD?  This happens to me all the time.  It drives the hubby crazy.  There are so many movies I love and that I can hardly keep track.  However, there are some which have permanently etched their way into my heart for various reasons.  These are the movies I will some day watch with the kidlets (when they are old enough, in many cases), which for one reason or another needs to be shared from generation to generation.  Yes, you may notice a few are holiday themed.  What can I say?  I love this time of year! 

So here are the SJ&YP favorites.  How many have you loved on this list?  How many have you missed?  How many are you going to run out and watch immediately?

Gone with the Wind (1937)– Scarlett O’Hara is the original strong, powerful woman (and maybe a little bit of a bitch).  holiday-inn-movie

Holiday Inn (1942) - Bing Crosby and Gary Cooper.  Singing, dancing, and a love triangle.  What could be better?  Am I the only one who longs for the days of dinner and floor show?  

It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) - They just don’t make them like George Bailey anymore.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954) - One of my all time favorites.  Mountain men tamed by love.  AND it is a musical. 

White Christmas (1954) - Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye with Rosemary Clooney? Yes, please! I always cry during the tribute to General Waverly. (I might be watching this movie while I type this post….)

Love in the Afternoon (1957) - Audrey Hepburn and Gary Cooper in a May – December romance. He is dashing and she is gorgeous as always.

Swiss Family Robinson (1960) - I always had a soft spot for Fritz.  And the baby elephant.

Urban Cowboy (1980) - John Travolta as a cowboy. Riding a mechanical bull. In the early 80’s. Classic.

Clash of the Titans (1981) - Some of the best special effects of its time, thanks to Ray Harryhausen. Much better than the remake.Valley_girl_poster

Valley Girl (1983) - Popular girl goes against the in crowd for the boy she likes. With 80’s music. And Nicholas Cage. Yay!

Labyrinth (1986) - David Bowie. Jim Henson. David Bowie. Jim Henson. I could watch this movie repeatedly. And the sound track is superb.

That Night (1992) - Juliette Lewis, C. Thomas Howell, and an extremely young Eliza Dushku dealing with coming of age and young love. If I could find this movie on DVD, I would be in heaven.

Dazed and Confused (1993) - Except for the bell bottoms, does this movie remind anyone else of being in high school?

10 Things I Hate About You (1999) - I dragged my sister to this movie in the theater. Ten minutes in, she turned to me and said, “I am so glad you made me see this.” Julia Stiles is amazing.  supertroopers

Super Troopers (2001) -  The movie that created some of the best one-liners ever.  Would you believe I saw this in the theater?

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (2002) - The first time I saw this was holed up in a Las Vegas hotel room, avoiding a night out. It was a great decision on my part. I love the idea of embracing your crazy family.

Sweet Home Alabama (2002) - You can still have roots and wings. Plus you can have Josh Lucas.

Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) - If this movie doesn’t make you want to move to Italy, I don’t know what will.

Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) - Another movie with some of the best one liners in history. Will Ferrell, you are a genius. Shake and bake!

Sex and the City (2008) - The music, the fashion, the fabulous four. I can’t believe they were able to turn such a fabulous show into a fabulous movie. That is no easy feat!

Mama Mia (2008) - Yes, I love musicals. Sometimes, I sing along. I did not love Pierce Brosnan’s singing, but I will give him credit for trying.avengers

The Avengers (2012) – Classic hero movie, straight out of the comics.  Plus, way too many hot guys to list here.   Except Tom Hiddleston.  There is always room for a little Hiddle….

Wreck-It-Ralph (2012) – A movie for the mom, the gamer, and the kid in me.  This is one of the best “hero” movies I have seen in a while. 

1 comment:

  1. YES !!! Some one of my generation who likes White Christmas! It's one of my all time favorites! You really really really - seriously - have to check out The Bells of St. Mary. Bing Crosby - amazing wonderful Christmas movie! (And I love Valley Girl!) My other fav....Love Actually!

    Thanks for some different ideas for movie night for me....

    ReplyDelete