Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Put Yourself on the Schedule.

spaday1 Now that I have taken back the bathroom from the kidlets, I feel as though my sanctuary is once again my own.  I try to keep it stocked with scented candles, my favorite Blissful Bath products, and wine.  Well, I try to keep the kitchen area stocked with the wine.  It looks weird in my bathroom.  I have been diligently using the face mask/moisturizer/eye cream/etc samples that my loving cousin has been floating my way.  I am finally getting relaxed, right?  Wrong.  I have been making steps in the right direction but the utter bliss and relaxation that comes from being truly pampered is still eluding me. 

For Christmas, Hubby gave me a big, fatty gift certificate for a local spa.  Guess what?  It has been sitting on my dresser ever since.  You would think it was jury duty and not a day of pampering.  I am having a hard time pulling the trigger to schedule it.  I don’t know if it is sheer laziness over making the appointment, indecisiveness over what I want to do that day or sadness that it might be the only day of pampering I have for awhile so I don’t want it to be over yet. 

Ironically, my blog is about balance.  Finding time to be me while still being mom.  By having a hard time accomplishing the goal of getting myself to the spa for some pampering which is already paid for, it feels like I am failing in this endeavor.  Sure, I can get the kids to the dentist or doctor, get paperwork to schools on time, even plan birthday parties, but I can’t make my own appointments accordingly.  Just ask my poor stylist who sees me monthly but usually gets a call the week of, begging for some time to get in for a cut and color.  Why is it so hard to put myself on the schedule?  Why must it wait until the last minute?

So what happens next?  I am taking the time to put myself on the schedule.  I am going to pick up the brochure for the salon, figure out what I want and make the appointment.  And I am not going to worry about anyone or anything else during my down time.

I wonder if they will let me sneak in wine…..

spaday2

1 comment:

  1. This post reminds me of Gloria in Modern Family. There was an episode where her husband gave her a spa certificate. She threw it in the trash, because she was worried about what her family will think if she took it. I think she didn't want a good opportunity to go to waste, so she faked an ankle accident and said she needed to go to the doctor. She ended up going to the spa. She felt amazing!

    ReplyDelete