Monday, March 25, 2013

When Did It Change?

change1 The other day, my niece and nephew showed me their letters to the Easter Bunny, asking for a list of specific toys.  At first I thought it was strange, then I saw two letters my own child, Biggest, had written.  She was asking the Easter Bunny to  bring her a Monster High Doll and to poop (spelled p-u-p-e) out some jelly beans for her.  Uh…what?  Since when does the Easter Bunny take requests like Santa Claus?  Also, I think someone has watched Hop one too many times….

Now Biggest has her first loose tooth and I am starting to wonder, how much is this going to cost me?  What is the going rate on teeth?  I have heard everything from a dollar to a twenty.  That kid has a lot of teeth.  So does Littlest.  Do I need to shell out this money with each tooth lost?  Is there a scale based on what tooth it is?  What happens if we can’t find said tooth and put it under the pillow.  Does that still count as a payout? 

change Now I am not saying my kids, or niece and nephew are greedy.  But I am saying that I am starting to go crazy with all the gifts and things which are expected to to be bought for  or given to my kidlets.  When I grew up, the Easter Bunny brought candy and maybe one toy. It was usually a Barbie (my favorite was the Twirly Curls Barbie). The tooth fairy brought a quarter, maybe a dollar. Santa brought small presents (batteries, earring backs, shampoo, etc) and my parents brought the bigger gifts. So what has happened to these traditions?  Is this what I am going to have to turn in to in order to please my kids?

My kids do not need all that stuff.  It is not my responsibility to buy gifts for each and every holiday, or random day of the week, that rolls around.  I love my kidlets but enough is enough.  My love for them is not measured in dollars, nor should it be.  If this continues, I will be handing out five dollar bills on Lincoln’s birthday, and giving out awards for getting to the bus on time.  No way in hell.  I am not raising kidlets like that. 

We are going back to the old school ways.  One small gift will be in the Easter Basket (to avoid all the sugar rush, which will most likely be eaten by me and Hubby).  Small presents haven been and will continue to be given by Santa, unless a small request is asked of Santa (something reasonable to keep the belief alive).  The Tooth Fairy leaves a dollar.  Period.  If you are lucky, I will get all Pinterest-y and spray it with glitter to make it fancy.

If not, we may start with this:

And end up with this:

 

God help us all.

 

 

Enjoy today’s post?  Click on the picture below to vote for me at Top Mommy Blogs.  It would make me feel good. 

Thanks!

topmommyblogs

3 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this! I have to throw goody bags at birthday parties into the "I refuse to do this" category as well - my kids have come home from school or a party with more gifts than they brought. What is up with that?!

    Although, I have to admit, after that cute little letter the EB probably would have pooped a trail of beans allll the way through the house. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the Easter Bunny DID poop a jelly bean trail throughout the house. I find it amusing and disgusting that my kids still wanted to eat them, even though they thought they were rabbit poop.

      Delete