Monday, April 8, 2013

Don’t We All? – A Review of “I Just Want to Pee Alone”

A couple of weeks ago, I was given the chance to review a book written by a group of mom bloggers.  Not just any mom bloggers, but a bunch of mom bloggers most of whom I already loved and followed myself.  Who wouldn’t jump at the chance to do a review of that?  I threw my name in that hat as quickly as possible!  Thankfully, I acted quickly enough, scored a free copy and was ready to indulge.  peealone

When I first started reading the book, I was lounging in a hot bath, just relaxing.  Imagine Hubby’s surprise to hear giggles and snorts emerging from our bathroom.  I couldn’t help it.  From the start, I was relating to almost all the posts in the books. Over the course of the next week and a half (I am usually a fast reader but in my defense, I have been sick), I have  followed the journeys of these moms as they traveled through various stages of embarrassment, self realization, basically, real life as a mom with one or more kids.  In many cases it was like reading my own story.

So what will you get?  You name it, you will probably find it in here.  Sex, pregnancy, toddlers, nudity, bodily functions, breakdowns….it is like watching reality TV on MTV and TLC all at the same time.  Want to bond over the pressure of a 40th birthday party?  You got it.  Want to cry over the things no one told you about being pregnant?  You got it.  These moms will shoot straight from the hip about almost anything.

What did I love? These moms are real.  They are not holding anything back, just telling it like it is.  These women are putting their vulnerabilities on the table and that is something damned hard to do.  For any of us, blogging is a lot like standing in public naked.  What some of these ladies write about is like standing in Time Square naked while being displayed on a jumbo-tron doing a sassy little dance.  That takes guts.  The moms were sharing such authentic and real stories which hit so close to home,  I almost felt like I could have written some of them myself (although they would have been way less entertaining and eloquent).

What did I love not so much?  Everyone parents different and views thing differently.  There were a few stories where I was uncomfortable about the way some moms were portrayed by others.  I will not get specific, since everyone has their own views of motherhood but a couple did not line up with some of my own personal opinions of what makes a successful mom or happy family.  But you know what they say, opinions are like……well….you know….

What is the bottom line?  Seriously, go buy the book.  Read it.  Love it.  I know you will not regret it.

 


Want to buy your very own copy of “I Just Want to Pee Alone”?  Here you go!

KINDLE - CLICK HERE.

AMAZON PAPERBACK BOOK DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR - CLICK HERE.

APPLE - Buy it at iTunes.

NOOK - B&N is taking its sweet time. In the meantime, you can get it from Smashwords. Just follow the instructions for NOOK. CLICK HERE.

KOBO AND SONY READER - CLICK HERE.

7 comments:

  1. This is a great review and I appreciate it very much! I loved your line about MTV & TLC. Ha! Such a great analogy. Thanks for taking the time to read the book and write such a honest review. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading, and I appreciate the honest review! Glad you could snag some laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reviewing our book, and I'm so glad you liked it! A funny book and a bubble bath? Two of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading and sharing this review! I think one of the greatest things about this book is there is truly something for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for appreciating us in all our nakedness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the review. Happy you were able to Bubble Bath Alone while reading Pee Alone! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I"ve totally danced in Times Square naked. Were you there?! Nah, but it does sound intriguing...
    Thanks for the great and honest review. Love what you wrote!
    ~m.

    ReplyDelete